Sunday, January 8, 2017

Our Responsibility - Make This World A Better Place

We are living in a time where our country is divided. People vilify those who believe differently. This division is epidemic across the world. Britain wants out of the European Union, fascism is on the rise in places like Hungary, terrorist attacks plague the world.  I have never lived through what my grandparents experienced, with their siblings and nephew perishing in Auschwitz, and I am grateful for that. We don't want to go back to the times of hatred, Hutus killing Tutsis, Sarajevo with snipers in a war zone. But what can we individuals do?

We need to make this world a better place. That sounds like a daunting tasks, but it's not. It does not take much effort to improve our collective lot. Loving one's family members and friends improves their lot, and, in small part, this world. Volunteering at a food pantry improves children's lives. I have a friend who gave me the idea to send books to a prison. One of the books that helped me was Dr. Victor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning," which I sent to a prisoner.  The book was passed through the prison and I just discovered it had a real impact on an incarcerated young woman. I was so pleased you would have thought I actually wrote the book, instead of just spending $10 and mailing the book to the prison.

We need kindness and empathy to get through the worldwide malaise. Giving acts are contagious. Giving is loving.  When one gives, it is with no expectations in return. We need to speak up and let our voices be heard. We need to object to bullies and we will make a difference. We need to make this place the kind of world we want for our children.

Kindness and giving takes little effort. Charity and kindness are contagious.  We need These acts now more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment