Friday, March 29, 2013

Nursing - Perhaps the Most Honorable Profession of All

I read an article in the New York Times which said people who help others by deeds are happier than those who give money. I am not surprised. I recently found myself uncharacteristically hospitalized in an emergency, non-life-threatening situation.  While the care was fabulous, the people who helped me most were not the fine doctors, but were the dedicated and hard-working nurses. The nurse who gave me the majority of care was Julia Hartman of St. Luke's East Hospital, was a godsend.  

The nurses comforted me.  They constantly asked if I needed anything. They were concerned that I experience the least amount of pain possible. They were warm, smiling and comforting. They executed their increasingly technical talents with skill and compassion. No task was beneath them, no task left them daunted.  

The nurses provided me the comfort and encouragement I needed.  They are filled with energy and humanity for the 12 long hours of each shift. The man in the room next to me shrieked, "Get away!" all night.  Yet the nurses continued providing care and compassion to the most difficult among us.  

When I was in college, I did not want a "traditionally female" job, like nurse, or teacher, or secretary.  How foolish and immature of me.  Nurses and others provide us with care and comfort.  Teachers educate us and our children and are instrumental in the future of humanity.  Secretaries make sure that businesses run. 

I can think of no more valuable profession than nursing.  We work them long  hours  for completely inadequate pay in light of their training, skill, and responsibility.  The nurses at St. Luke's East were angels to me. No matter my pain level or discomfort, they were their to reassure me and heal me. They were smart, warm, and efficient. I am proud of my nieces who will join their ranks. 

Their is no more honorable profession than nursing. Thank you Julia Hartman.  You are a wonderful person. 

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. In the course of my mom's illness, they made all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why I like the saying "Love a Nurse PRN"

    I have been in hospital two times and both times was blessed with some really sweet awesome nurses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To get professional essay you must go for experts like Evolution Writers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was able to find good info from your content. Visit: Nursing As A Profession Essay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read your blog it is very useful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates.
    nursing case study

    ReplyDelete