Sunday, June 5, 2016

I Want To Be A Juror

Tomorrow I am reporting for jury duty, and I'm excited. I have never been on a jury. I believe in the jury system whole-heartedly. The jury system is illustrates what is right with this country. We are the only nation in the world that employs juries in both criminal and civil cases. Trial by jury is constitutionally protected for both criminal and civil cases in our nation. That's one of the reasons that this country is great.

I have picked a lot if juries and I believe that juries, by and large, do the right thing. Studies show that with small group decisions, like juries, the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. When jurors work together, which they usually do, justice is the beneficiary. While, I certainly have not won every jury trial, I still fervently believe in juries. People on juries represent who we are as a nation and what values we cherish.  

Most jurors take their jobs very seriously. Twelve jurors are more likely than a sole decision-maker to root out the truth. Jurors can be, and usually are, brave, when courage is necessary. Jurors are the conscience of our community. Most people are good and want to be fair. A jury of twelve is more intelligent than one person.  I believe in the decency and fairness of Americans.

I will do my best to be open-minded, open-hearted, and I pledge to listen and think. I want to be part of what makes our judicial system great. I want to do my part. I am looking forward to reporting for jury duty, whether I am plucked for service or not. I am filled with pride that I am an American and I finally get to serve. 

1 comment:

  1. Hope you actually get to serve. I've been called for jury service twice, and both times was voir dired off of every panel based on my legal training.

    ReplyDelete