Saturday, February 12, 2011

3 SISTERS!!!! and Psychodrama

I am so excited that I am going to be on the staff of the 3 Sisters seminar next week in New Orleans! The seminar is about the use of psychodrama as a trial lawyer. The 3 Sisters, Joane, Fredi and Mary are all certified psychodramatists. I am also a certified practitioner The guru/mentor of psychodrama, at least for me, John Nolte, will also be there.

I was first exposed to psychodrama in 1994 when I attended the Trial Lawyers College. That summer changed my life. I was in John Nolte's group at the Trial Lawyers College. I watched as a group of strangers had the courage to become vulnerable in front of each other. In psychodrama, instead of describing events of one's life, they are put into action. The method is extraordinarily powerful, as a tool for trial and prep, and as a way to discover oneself. My exposure to psychodrama, initially through the Trial Lawyers College, jump started me onto a path of self-discovery, both professionally and personally.

Through the years, as a lawyer, I began to take risks that broadened my horizons and helped me succeed for my clients. I left the firm I was working at and started my own, with my law school friend Marie. When a judge seemed to be biased against me or my client, I assertively confronted the judge and his attitude changed. I don't think I would have had the courage to do that before 1994. I became a much better trial lawyer. I got my personal life in order. I may have made these changes had it not been for psychodrama. Who knows? But one thing I am sure of, psychodrama was the impetus.

When the time came, after the 3 Sisters left the Trial Lawyers College, I eventually resigned from the TLC staff. I left mainly because I perceived unfair treatment of one of my friends. I also left, because I felt that I had become stagnant. I did not feel that I was growing creatively. I will forever be grateful for what I learned through the Trial Lawyers College, but it was time for me to leave. There are many people who are innovative and creative on the TLC staff. It is a very good program and I recommend it unhesitatingly to others. My friend Rafe Foreman, one of the greatest trial lawyers I have ever seen in action and a fabulous teacher, is moving to Kansas City to take over as a professor at my law school to make their trial advocacy program one of the best in the country. And, I bet he will do it, too.

Now back to 3 Sisters. The 3 Sisters are taking what they learned over the past decade and continually improving upon the past. These three women are three of the most innovative, brilliant and compassionate people I know. They wrote a book, Trial in Action, about psychodrama for trial lawyers. The book is superb. I am so excited because of the innovation of these women and the chance I am going to have next week to be a part of the magic. I can't wait. If you are interested in finding out more about the 3 Sisters, check out their website, the3sisters.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment