Sunday, December 17, 2017

What’s The Matter With Gray Hair?


My hair is a shiny white/silver color, much more white than brown.  The color is beautiful, even if I sound less than humble. The only problem is that gray hair adorns older crowns and is synonymous with old age.  We don’t like older people, or at least how older people look. What’s wrong with being old?

I do not feel old at 65.  While I am not at spry as in my youth, I am more content, more confident and less conflicted. I enjoy my work, my family and my life. I appreciate beauty. I appreciate art and nature. While I have less memory for proper names, my ability to reason seems intact. And, I have lots of experiences about which I have learned many lessons.

While I get that youth provides possibilities, I do not understand why we knock aging. Hopefully, as we age, we get wiser and more centered.  Losing one’s faculties seems horrific, but hopefully that may not happen, or if it does, it’s years away.

I think it’s ludicrous that we have to protect employees over 40 from age discrimination. Being 40 is like being 15, with a great many possibilities. We stereotype older people as being set in their ways, narrow-minder and averse to technology. While stereotypes may occasionally be accurate, oftentimes they are not.

In any event, I love my shiny whitish/silvery hair. The wrinkles are fine, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment